What to Expect
It can be intimidating visiting a church's worship service for the first time, and so here's some answers to questions you might have:
- What should I wear? You'll find some in our church wearing a coat and tie or a skirt or dress, but you'll see others wearing dress shirts, jeans and some t-shirts. The pastor typically wears a coat and tie. You can come as you are, or come as you'd like to be!
- How long is the service? Our worship services usually last between 60 and 75 minutes.
- What is the worship music like? In our church, the worship is led by the congregation itself, who sings along with organ, piano or, less often, a small praise band. Some songs will be very old, but others will be from the past 10-20 years, and usually we also try to make use of the Psalms in our singing.
- How does the service go? We think of our worship service as a conversation between God and His people. God will call us with a Scripture passage to worship, and we will praise Him in song. Then, God will give us His will for our lives, usually expressed in his laws, and we will confess our sin together before God's forgiveness and grace is spoken to us. In gratitude for this grace, we then give God our prayers and our financial gifts, and then we hear God's Word preached by the pastor in the sermon. Then, we respond to God's Word in short silence, and after that, with a few songs before God's blessing sends us out.
- What do I do with my kids? You can bring them with you, and they can either join you for the entire service, or if they are age 3-5, we have a children's church that begins just before the sermon. The kids go to the back of church and meet one of our members, who has prepared a special lesson and activity for them. We also have a nursery during the morning service for your babies and toddlers.